Oh heyyyy to those of you who LOVE Mexican food!! Here’s an addicting recipe that’s perfect for Taco Tuesday! A crunchy taco shell filled with perfection: shredded sweet and spicy chicken, fresh guacamole and fun toppings.
Anyways, this has been the busiest month of my dietitian career! January is full of new clients looking to get healthy, so sharing my recipes that everyone will enjoy has been really fun!
Crunchy Taco Bowls with Chicken and Guac
- Large Flour Tortilla (or gluten free)
- Cooking spray, I used coconut
- Small oven-safe bowl
- 3 individual chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 1½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup light beer
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- a pinch of cumin (optional)
- 4 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup canned organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup guacamole (I used 1 large avocado, 3 Tbsp sliced green onion, 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup diced tomato, 1/2 lime juice, a pinch of Season salt, a pinch of garlic salt, freshly ground pepper mashed with a fork)
- Plain greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- Mince the chipotle peppers and garlic cloves. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and chipotle; saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add the orange juice, chicken broth, beer, and cilantro and turn the heat to high to bring to a boil. Add the raw chicken breasts; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board for a few minutes to cool. Shred the chicken with a fork.
- Meanwhile, keep the sauce left in the pan over low heat. Whisk in the mustard and cumin and cook the sauce until it reduces by more than half. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot with the sauce and toss to combine. Top with additional fresh cilantro.
- Gently press the tortilla around the inside of an oven safe bowl. Spray with coconut oil. Place the bowl on a baking sheet and place in the oven an bake for about 10 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- To assemble the bowls divide the lettuce among 4 tortilla bowls or regular bowls. Add the black beans, guacamole, chicken and tomatoes. Top each bowl with salsa, fresh cilantro, tomatoes and a dollop of greek yogurt.
You guys and gals are going to LOVE this recipe 😉 xo, April
For more healthy recipes, download The Thin Kitchen eCookbook