Who doesn’t love a good veggie burger? They are so versatile. You can add them to salads, wrap them in a tortilla or scramble them up with some eggs. The possibilities are endless.
This veggie burger is made with mashed chickpeas and diced apples. I used cilantro, cumin and cayenne pepper to flavor the burger without adding any calories or fat. The sauce is a mixture of tahini and fresh lemon juice, which complements the burger extremely well!
I took the day off work on Tuesday to relax and focus on my blog. I was so excited to have a full day of cooking without any distractions! Unfortunately I only got around to making this one recipe… I couldn’t resist lying on the couch with Lucy and watching Bravo reruns. But anyways, I love the way this burger turned out and I hope you do too!
April and Lucy
Vegan Apple & Chickpea Burgers with Tahini Sauce
Yields 6 servings // Prep time 25 minutes // Cook time 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed (mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small apple, diced (I used a gala apple)
- 1/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste (I prefer to use less)
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
Serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, red onion and lettuce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly oil.
2. In a small bowl, combine flaxseed with 1/4 cup warm water and let thicken for about 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas, leaving a few intact for texture. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and the flaxseed mixture. Adjust the seasonings and salt to taste, I like mine spicy! Mix well until combined.
4. Shape the dough into 6 patties. Pack it tightly to help hold it together.
5. Bake the patties for 10 minutes, gently flipping them, and bake for 20 more minutes until patties are golden brown.
6. While the patties are baking prepare the sauce. Whisk together the lemon juice, tahini, water, sesame oil, flaxseed and salt. Adjust the lemon juice and salt as needed, I enjoy a lot of lemon juice so I added extra.
6. Serve on pita bread with the tahini sauce, red onion, lettuce and sliced tomatoes.