This recipe has become one of my favorites! It is easy to prepare and is extremely healthy. I have been cooking a lot of chicken lately and find this one to be extra moist and flavorful (with little fat or calories).
I cooked this last night with the help of my boyfriend. I prepare the filling while he was in charge of cooking the chicken. I paired this dish with couscous and chopped tomatoes.
Spinach and Basil stuffed Chicken
Yields 4 servings \ Prep time 10 minutes \ Cooked time 25 minutes
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Using a sharp knife, cut each chicken breast in half horizontally through the thickest portion, to the opposite side. You should make this into a pocket large enough to hold the spinach filling. Do Not cut all the way through! Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a small food processor combine the spinach, basil and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and process until well mixed. Spread mixture into the filling of the chicken breasts.
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in hot skillet for 4-5 minutes or until brown, turning once. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with quinoa and diced tomatoes. Enjoy